Thursday 13 January 2011

After Eights.

Why is it that no matter how much I enjoy my healthy dinner in the evening, I almost always find myself really hungry about an hour after I've devoured it? Obviously the educated answer would be 'well LMP, this is probably caused by your past over eating, you chubby idiot!', to which I would nod.

Earlier today I got thinking about evening eating etiquette (EEE). What are the rules? Who makes the rules? And, if you abide by the rules, does it work?

I've read that some experts in weight loss say you shouldn't eat after 7.00pm, surely this isn't right? How can any busy, professional person who is trying to beat the bulge possibly ensure that they eat before the watershed every day? Don't get me wrong I'm not saying I have a particularly packed schedule, but if I finish work at 6.00pm every day, and I am doing evening exercise classes (which I have been told you shouldn't really eat before hand as you would be prone to stitches and uncomfort) how am I supposed travel to a class, attend, travel home and eat all BEFORE 7.00pm? As much as I would love to be, I am not Wonder Woman!

On the other hand, I have also read that eating after 7.00pm is encouraged! They say that 'One calorie keeps the same characteristics all day long. Your body doesn’t know that it is late or early in the morning'. This is a pretty good point in my book, I mean how intelligent can calories be? If they were that bright they would not have settled in the wrong spots in the first place.. this aside, even though this opinion makes sense there is still a niggling in the back of my mind. Thinking about it, if you do eat later, the food will be digested in just the same way as it would in the day time.


In my opinion when it comes to EEE, I will try and stick to eating before 8.00pm, I know it's not going to be possible EVERY day, but I can certainly try and stick with it, it can't hurt, can it? So long as I keep it healthy and drink plenty of fluids, and I give it some time to digest, I should start to lose some weight!


Although.. these night time pangs are torture, any advice?

No comments:

Post a Comment